Welcome to this guide to the many industries that were active in this county in the centuries up to the present day.
Each entry in the A-Z list of industries leads to an article on that subject. Each of these articles is followed by suggestions for site visits, further reading, and links to relevant websites. Many of them lead further to specific examples of that industry in action.
The photo galleries display images of local industries, many of them from the Mike Davies-Shiel Collection. You can buy copies of most of them – follow this link to find out more.
What’s new? For the latest pages see:
- The Lakeland bobbin industry in photos
- Photos of flax production and mills
- A look at farming in Cumbria today
- The history of brewing in Cumbria
- Photos of Muncaster Mill
- The work being done to conserve Backbarrow Ironworks
- Radio towers and masts for telecommunications
- Where to find out more about the industrial history of Cumbria
- Photos of the mills of Cockermouth
- An Ulverston company producing wrought iron by the puddling process
- Through the carriage window – industry along the Cumbrian coast railway from
Arnside to St.Bees and Carlisle to St.Bees
Thanks to everyone who has contributed material for this website – members of the Cumbria Industrial History Society, past and present; the Cumbria Amenity Trust Mining History Society and the Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society; and various individuals.
If you have any comments to make on the content of this guide, or know where we might find useful items to add to it please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
General enquiries about the industrial history of Cumbria, or specific requests for information, should be directed to email@example.com.