Welcome to this new-look guide to the many industries that were active in this county in the centuries up to the present day.
Each entry in the A-Z list of industries leads to an article on that subject. Each of these articles is followed by suggestions for site visits, further reading, and links to relevant websites. Many of them lead further to specific examples of that industry in action.
The photo galleries will display images of local industries, many of them from the Mike Davies-Shiel Collection. You can buy copies of most of them – follow this link to find out more.
What’s new? For the latest pages see:
- Industry and The Arts conference – booking form and further details
- A gasworks bonanza! Country House Gasworks updated and a new list of Independents
- A history in photos of the cotton and blue mills at Backbarrow
- Old photos of the Duddon Furnace
- A look around Broughton-in-Furness
- The Corn Mills gallery
- A look at the Dentdale marble industry
- A history of Howgill Woollen Mill near Sedbergh
- Listed bridges in the National Park
- Cumberland and Westmorland 1967 – a list of major employers
Thanks to everyone who has contributed material for this website - members of the Cumbria Industrial History Society, past and present; the Cumbria Amenity Trust Mining History Society and the Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society; and various individuals.
If you have any comments to make on the content of this guide, or know where we might find useful items to add to it please e-mail email@example.com.
General enquiries about the industrial history of Cumbria, or specific requests for information, should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.