Welcome to this guide to the many industries that were active in this county in the centuries up to the present day.
Each entry in the A-Z list of industries leads to an article on that subject. Each of these articles is followed by suggestions for site visits, further reading, and links to relevant websites. Many of them lead further to specific examples of that industry in action.
The photo galleries display images of local industries, many of them from the Mike Davies-Shiel Collection. You can buy copies of most of them – follow this link to find out more.
What’s new? For the latest pages see:
- The 2018 spring conference on Industry and Society
- An Ulverston company producing wrought iron by the puddling process
- Take a look at our new book on Cumbria’s Industrial Past.
- Through the carriage window – industry along the Cumbrian coast railway
Arnside to St.Bees and Carlisle to St.Bees
- The development of Modern Farm Buildings
- A walk along Ulverston’s Town Beck
- More Ports and Harbours – photos of Workington and an article on Barrow
- On the 60th anniversary of its opening, a look at Calder Hall – the world’s first industrial scale nuclear power station
- Warwick Bridge Corn Mill – new photos and a history
- The influence of the major landowners and agricultural education on Farming
- Photos of more Iron and Steel Works
- A new page on Wool with notes on some of the Woollen Mills in Cumbria
- Photos of the Derwent Iron and Steel Works at Workington
Thanks to everyone who has contributed material for this website – members of the Cumbria Industrial History Society, past and present; the Cumbria Amenity Trust Mining History Society and the Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society; and various individuals.
If you have any comments to make on the content of this guide, or know where we might find useful items to add to it please e-mail email@example.com.
General enquiries about the industrial history of Cumbria, or specific requests for information, should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.